Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Bug in Vista Media Center?

Quick edit at the bottom.

Every now and then (say every few days) Vista Media Center starts acting weird. Put in mind here that it's a completely clean install with all valid hardware. It's my testing machine and it only has Visual Studio and the VMC SDK installed on it.

The reason its grieving me is not because I have to restart the application. No. As a Windows user I'm pretty used to that. The big bummer is that I don't know that it has started acting weird so I keep on chasing bugs that do not exist, I do not know how many times I've hooked up a debugger only to find that there is just nothing wrong with my code. Very frustrating. And also seemingly impossible to reproduce or get more information on because it never actually crashes, I have to manually kill it.

But, I've finally found out something that will give me a hint when things are about to go a little wrong and it's this: When the sorting of the application thumbnails in "More Programs" act up, then I just know that my own applications will hang, or render wrong, or ... well, whatever.

But god, this bug has been driving me nuts a few times.

I've been looking around for more information on this one, with no luck. Reporting something as vague as this back to developers is kind of pointless too. Has anyone else seen this one? Does anyone have any information about it?

Edit: It just happened again and I noticed that when the sorting of programs in "programs by name" borks, the first program (top, left) does not show a description when focused but the rest do. I know, not much details -- but for completeness.

No comments: