Sunday, May 20, 2007

BitTorrent Clients

Just a quick heads up. Aufero will support all kinds of downloading protocols in the end, but the first goal was to get BitTorrent implemented. Since day one Aufero's been using its internal BitTorrent (Mono) client, but I've been having trouble to get it to actually finish downloads. The problem is, I'd like to get a beta out soon so I had to look into alternatives.

What happened was this: You can now use external software, namely: uTorrent or Azureus. Added bonus is that you can have the two running on a separate host (your Windows Home Server or Linux box, anyone?).

The intention in the end is to allow Aufero to run on Media Center and be a "thin" client and all the work is done by a server somewhere. But for that to be reality I'd have to find some money and a reason to cough up for a license (not even sure how much WHS will cost, to be honest).

But anyway, uTorrent or Azureus -- I figured implementing support for those two should be enough?

17 comments:

Makarand said...

excellent! why write a new bittorrent client if you can use one of the leading ones.

also I am glad to hear that to run aufero - I wont have to punch holes in firewall of my media center machine...I already have another machine that i use to install all the dirty software :)

Hey I have been following this blog and cant wait to see the beta.

Anonymous said...

I agree, I can't wait to see the beta either. I've been wanting to code something similiar to Aufero for a long time now; just never got the effort to actually do it :P

Anonymous said...

Me three. :-)

Aufero said...

You people sure are patient, though. Not one peep of "WTH, when will it be done!" I'd probably be the first to say that this is taking a bit longer than anticipated from the beginning. :)

But I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one that wants this application. Keeps the inspiration going, I'm running a bit low on that right now.

Just a warning: The beta will be filled with bugs, but as opposed to an alpha release; all of the intended functionality will be there (but perhaps not working i n some scenarios)

Cheers,
Aufero Dev.


PS. I'll hopefully get around to publishing some screenshots of the current build soon (just have to find some time for that).

Aufero said...

Oh yeah, and thanks for the encouraging words!

michael said...

is there any reason it wouldnt work with a bt client on a nas server, etc? i dont have one at the moment, but i been thinkin about it.

good things come to those who wait mate.
aufero ftw!

Aufero said...

> is there any reason it wouldnt work with a bt client on a nas server, etc?

No reason.

If you can get either of the supported clients to compile/run on the platform, you will be able have Aufero use that as the downloader.

Personally I've been pondering creating an interface that I can run on my Linksys router :)

Aufero will however never support more clients than its internal engine, Azureus family and uTorrent. But this means your server could be virtually any OS since Azureus is pretty portable.

Aufero said...

Oh, one could of course build an interface which Aufero could communicate with if one is not happy with Azureus or uTorrent.

Aufero can talk XML and JSON over HTTP. :)

michael said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
人妻 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
サイドビジネス said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Hチェッカー said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
家出 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
高収入アルバイト said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
高級チェリー said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
困っています。 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
副収入 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.